Wednesday 1 February 2012

YOU ARE HOW YOU DRUM


Everyone has their own style, strengths and weaknesses at a drum circle. Some people are natural leaders, other prefer to follow. Some people listen to what's going on around them, some people are oblivious to what's going on around them.

Here's me: first I feel the atmosphere, the space. Is the circle pumping, lethargic, busy, empty? I usually look to see who's playing, do I know anyone? I move to the rhythm, internalize it and start thinking of a pattern that would compliment it.

A lot of times, I don't not rush to drum, especially if EVERYONE is drumming, but rather take out a cowbell, shaker or tambourine to get my ears and body coordinated. I usually stand outside the circle and play quietly, warming myself up without distracting the group. Then once I'm hitting a consistent pattern that meshes well, I'll increase the volume and engage with the full circle and probably make my way inside. When I start drumming, it's the same. Start simple and at low volume outside the circle and then move in once I'm warmed up.

I tend to isolate the main rhythm accents and play with it, either exactly or with minor variations, and then after sitting in that groove for a few rounds, I'll start exploring more variations at regular intervals.

When a strong groove is going and it suggest a melody to me, I'll try play a melody trying to encourage longer rhythmical phrasing, and then go back to supporting the groove.

The other thing is that I try not to lead unless it's necessary. Some people will try to start EVERY rhythm as soon as the last one ends. That's not leading, that's dominating! Maybe not everyone is adept at starting beats, but you gotta take your hand off the wheel sometimes, let things flow and see where it goes.

So that's me drumming: respectful, sensitive, supportive and patient with flights of wild exploration.

Who are you??

1 comment: